Maggie:INK

Maggie:INK
Maggie INK

Saturday, October 15, 2011

90 Year Old Joins Occupy Wall Street from Bed in Nursing Home

The book, which I wrote last year when I was 90, called From One to Ninety-one: A Life, was published this summer. It ended with a plea that our people join hands to end the un-American, undemocratic atmosphere of greed that characterizes our society and poisons our lives today. I quoted Langston Hughes, who said:

                  Not me alone...
                  But all the whole oppressed...
                  Must put their hands with mine
                  To shake the pillars of those temples
                  Wherein...the rule of greed's upheld...
                  That must be ended.

We are at a time when our corporations are placing profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality while they control and stymie our government. But thanks to a few progressive forces, organized as Occupy Wall Street, we have reached a remarkable point and the possibility of change for the better. Though it originated as a small group of young people camping out at Zuccotti Park in lower Manhattan, it has ballooned to include virtually all the major religious denominations, as well as labor, the unemployed and the marginalized. When protesters were threatened with eviction, Move.on stepped in with a massive e-mail petition and labor stepped up as well, sending members to the park early Friday morning. There were no evictions!

Each of us must stop living in the four walls of his house. We must live in the community, in our society, and push for changes which will save America.

This was my first blog, from a nursing home where I have terminal cancer, and I plan to continue to share my thoughts with you on politics, the magic of chocolate, poker, bridge, the English sixpence, my family, SAS shoes, Marcel Marceau and your thoughts on a myriad of topics we may enjoy together.

And speaking of family, this is the birthday of my daughter, Mindy Thompson Fullilove. We use this occasion to congratulate her and celebrate the splendid life she is building.

Do all the good you can, as long as ever you can.

8 comments:

  1. hi maggie happy mindy's birthday and I am enjoying your blog. I will call ya. good work. love sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps, the abolitionist coin is reset in a beautiful silver circle. love sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie...can't believe you are a first-time blogger :)!!! You are so inspiring and never cease to amaze me. I love your quote "each of us must stop living in the four walls of his house. We must live in the community, in our society, and push for changes which will save America." Keep doing what you are doing....as you do it so well :)!!!! XOX Naina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, Your memoirs, when you began them, I thought would take 20 years to write. And you got them down, and you got life right! As always, my inspiration is fueled by what you decided at every turn. More later, Georgiana

    ReplyDelete
  5. so very magical ... are your thoughts .... especially in this realm of time ... inspiring to all who reads ..... your text is inspiring to all ... luv ya ! steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoying your blog, Maggie. Love, Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited Zucotti Park Oct. 25 and found it most inspiring. Very diverse racial and age-wise. Union men forming an outer line, looking directly at the police. Very gentle group. I will be preaching on it for Homecoming at the UU Church in Orange, Nov. 20. My favorite sign: "This is not a Protest. It is an Affirmation."

    ReplyDelete